AYRSHIRE ROOTS

Ayrshire Towns and Parishes

www.Ayrshireroots.com   and  www.Ayrshireroots.co.uk

 

 

Home New Views Old Views Burial Grounds Brodick Catacol Corrie Holy Isle Kilbride 1846 Kildonan Kilmorie Kilmorie 1846 King's Cave Lamlash Lochranza Machrie Pirnmill Whiting Bay The Arran Ferries Arran Murder

 

Isle of Arran 

called Glotta Astuarium by the Romans - Scots Gaelic Eilean Arainn

 

   

 
  Brodick Bay 1891

 

  Google map of Arran

 2001 Census - a resident population of 5,058.

Arran 1846

ARRAN, an island, in the county of Bute; comprising the parishes of Kilbride and Kilmory, and containing 6241 inhabitants. This island, called Glotta Astuarium by the Romans, is situated in the Frith of Clyde, between the coast of Ayrshire, which is on the east, distant about thirteen miles, and Cantyre, in Argyllshire, lying to the west, and distant about six miles. It is of an oval form, indented by bays, and thirty miles in length, and fifteen in its greatest breadth; the surface throughout is rugged and mountainous, and intersected with mossy glens, whence streams, flowing from the heights, make their course to the sea. There are several safe and commodious harbours, of which that of Lamlash, on the east side, will afford good anchorage to several hundred vessels; and the Cock of Arran, on the northern extremity, is a well-known landmark. The higher parts of the island are rocky and sterile, and generally covered with fern and heath, but in the valleys, and in the vicinity of the lakes, which are five in number, the soil is moderately fertile, though not well cultivated. Coal and limestone are said to exist; freestone, ironstone, and marble are abundant, and jasper has been found on Goat-Fell, a hill above 3000 feet in height. There are several cairns, and some remains of Druidical edifices, many ruins of ancient fortresses, and some natural caves, remarkable for their great extent; and various places exhibit marks of volcanic fire. Arran is the property of the Duke of Hamilton, and gives the title of Earl to his grace, who has an ancient seat here, called Brodick Castle.

From:   A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846)

 

 

 

General Steam Navigation Paddle Steamer Isle of Arran. Built 1892. Placed on Buchanan Steamers' Arran run then to the Rothesay  service with onward cruises. Reboilered in 1911. Not requisitioned for war service until 1917, going to Portsmouth and later to the River Seine in France. Sailed for Williamson-Buchanan from Glasgow until superceded in 1933 by TS Queen Mary. Sold to Thames owners the General Steam Navigation Company for London Docks cruises. Scrapped at Barrow in 1936

 

 

 

   

 

 

and .co.uk

 

Copyright 2000-15   The contents of these webpages are copyright.