the way through Ayrshire - 100 years ago
South-west of Barr.
The village of Colmonell sits on the right bank of the
Stinchar, crossed here by a bridge, three miles south-east of the
sea shore, and nine or ten miles by road south of Girvan. It has
Established, Free, and United Original Secession Churches, a public
school, a telegraph and post office, a shop or two, and an inn.
Population in 1871, 306.
In the Churchyard is
the Covenanter’s grave of
Matthew Micklewraith, who was
executed by the soldiers under command of Claverhouse,
1685. Craigneil Castle ruin is across the river.
The village of
stands on Dusk Water, a large tributary of the Stinchar,
six or seven miles east of Colmonell. It has a railway station, a Free
Church, a public school, a Union Bank, a post office (with money
order and savings bank departments), several shops, and two hotels.
Population, 326. Near to it is the martyrs’ monument
of John Murchie and
two young men who were shot here in 1685. John
Burt, poet and divine, was born at
Knockmalloch, 1789. He was learning the trade of a
handloom weaver when, at the age of 18, he was pressed into the navy,
and served on board the Magnificent till 1812. In 1816 he had so
far advanced his education as to be able to teach a school at
Kilmarnock. To escape prosecution for having
The hamlet of
to the west of Barrhill, has a public school, a railway station, and
the ruins of an old castle.
At ARNSHEEN is an
Established Church, forming a puoad
The hamlet of
with public school, is on the shore. About two miles from Lendalfoot
is the great sea-cliff precipice, the scene of the ballad " May
Culzean." May Culzean’s
newly-wedded husband led her as on a pleasure excursion to enjoy the view
from the top of this precipice. When standing on the brink, he commanded
her to strip off her costly silk gown and jewels, and submit to the fate
of six former wives, whom he had married for their property, and thrown
over the cliff. As the poor young lady was proceeding, in obedience to her
husband’s command, she begged him not to look at her, as she did not
like to be seen naked; and when he turned his frightful gaze she gained
courage, seized hold of him, and dashed him over the precipice in a
moment, mounted her horse and galloped off to her father’s home.
Chief seats are Ballochmorie,
Dalgerroch, Drumlamford, Knockdolian, and
The surface of the
parish abounds in moorish hills and glens, but is delightfully wooded and
cultivated on the banks of the Stinchar and the Duisk. From
the sea, at the foot of Knockdolian Hill, east-south-east to
a little beyond Drumlamford House, the length of the parish is 15
miles; and its greatest width is about seven miles-comprising 47,490
acres. Population in 1871, 2293; in 1881, 2191.