AYRSHIRE ROOTS

Ayrshire Towns and Parishes

www.Ayrshireroots.com   and  www.Ayrshireroots.co.uk

 

 

Home

 

 

 

Skelmorlie Aisle

[Historic Scotland now own it, and it is open to the public. Entrance controlled via the curator at Largs Museum]

 

The Skelmorlie Aisle was added to the old church of Largs in 1636 and is now the sole remnant of the Parish church, the body of which was demolished in 1802. It was built by a local landowner, Sir Robert Montgomerie of Skelmorlie as a burying place for himself and his wife, Dame Margaret Douglas. The richly painted timber ceiling was carried out in 1638 and signed by J S Stalker. There is also a Renaissance canopied tomb to the Montgomeries of Skelmorlie, which stands above the burial-vault entrance. It is dated 1639. Hay felt able to compare it to Colt's Westminster Abbey memorial to Elizabeth. 

 

         

 

 

 

   

 

 

and .co.uk

 

Copyright 2000-15   The contents of these webpages are copyright.