Notes on the way
through Ayrshire - 100 years
South-east of Kirkmichael.
The village of Straiton lies at the union of Lamdoughty Burn
with Girvan Water, near the north-west boundary of the parish,
six and a half miles south-east of
Maybole. It is a pretty little place, invested with pastoral
hills east, south, and north, and the cultivated broad vale of the
Girvan on the west. It has an Established Church, a public school, a
post office, a smithy, shoemaker’s, joiner’s, and cartwright’s
In the Churchyard is the
martyr’s grave of Thomas
Machaffie, a fine young man, a
farmer’s son, who in January, 1686, removed from long hiding in
a cold, damp cave which had brought on fever, and - not daring to go
home to the besieged dwelling of his father and mother - was lying ill
in a house at Linfairn, two and a half miles south of the
village, where he was found by Captain
Bruce and his men, who took him
out of his bed and out of the house and instantly shot him. A stone
marks the spot there he fell.
stands a mile west of the village, with the Girvan meandering
through its luxuriant policies; and the whole is overlooked by the lofty
Craigengower, whose summit, 1086 feet high, is crowned with a
monument to the brave Colonel
Blair of Blairquhan.
The village of
PATNA stands on the Doon, which traces the east boundary of
the parish, four miles north-by-east of Straiton, and nine and a
half miles from Ayr. , It has grocery and drapery shops; a post
office, with money order and savings bank departments; Established and
United Presbyterian Churches, a public school, a smithy, and a railway
station. Population in 1871, 766; in 1881, 603. This includes 179 in Dalmellington
parish, over the bridge.
about two miles west of Patna, is the native place of the Rev.
Hugh Binning, who was born 1627.,
graduated M.A., and was appointed to the Professorship of Philosophy in
Glasgow University, July, 1646. He left a number of theological works in
manuscript, published after his death, which took place at the early age
on the Doon, seven miles above Patna, is famous for its
connection with the distinguished Generals
Cathcart, and for its romantic
scenery of Ness Glen and Loch Doon.
In the immediate
neighbourhoods of Patna and Straiton are some cultivated
fields, but the surface of nearly the whole parish is hill and moor. The
south half contains about half-a-dozen lochs, the largest of which is Loch
Doon. From fully a mile north of Patna, southward, its length
is 14 miles; and its width across the middle is eight miles-comprising
49,SOl acres. Population in 1871, 1443; in 1881, 1241.