Notes on the way through
Ayrshire - 100 years ago
West of Craigie. The village
of Symington stands on a rocky place in the centre of the parish,
near the road between Ayr and Kilmarnock, three and a-half miles
north-east of Monkton Railway Station. It has Established
and Free Churches, public school, and post office.
The chief seats are Coodham,
with fine wooded grounds, ornamental lake, and splendid gardens, one
mile north-east ; Dankeith, one mile north ; Townend,
half-a-mile west ; and Rosemount, one mile and a-half south-west.
Principal Robert Findlay,
D.D., was born at Wexford, about a mile south-west of the
village, November 23, 1721. In 1782 he was appointed Professor of
Divinity in Glasgow University ; and is the author of "Vindication
of Sacred Books and of Josephus," "Divine Inspiration,"
and other works. Died in 1814, aged 93.
whinstone underlie the surface of the parish, which is all in
cultivation, and looks rather comely, with its gentle swells and dimples
and strips of plantation. It is four miles long, north-east, and about
one mile and a-half broad. Area, 3725 acres. Population in 1871, 792; in